Thursday, October 16, 2008

KAREN, PAMELA & A DAY IN BEIJING

Hi Rebecca and everyone back in Canada,

It's Friday morning here in Beijing.

Allow me to tell you a little about Karen Cumpstone
and Pamela Nisbet - the two founding members of
your 2008 Canadian Women's Team.

Karen was born and raised in Nanaimo, B.C. Travelling
in Europe, she met her soon-to-be husband, Ian, at a
bierhaus in Germany. Very shortly thereafter she
found herself living in Ian's homeland, New Zealand.
There she learned bridge and resided for the next 26 years.
A little over a year ago, Karen and Ian returned to Nanaimo
to continue their lives in Canada.
Karen is an accountant by trade.
Karen and Ian's son accompanied them to live in B.C and
their daughter remains in N.Z.

Pamela is a native Kiwi (New Zealander) and about eight
years ago she came to live in Canada along with her two
daughters. Pamela is a nurse and health care administrator.
I know from talking to her that she has a real compassion
and love for the people for whom she provides care.
Pamela proudly became a Canadian citizen just a few months
ago and has recently moved to Ottawa from Cobourg.

Karen and Pamela had squared off against one another many
times over the years they had in common in New Zealand,
and have oft represented New Zealand in Pacific and world
and world events, but never as partners or as teammates.
They knew each other well from their commonality at the
bridge table, but never played together in N.Z.
When Karen came back to her roots in Nanaimo, I believe
that they started to chat and play on BBO. And soon Pamela
was asking Karen if she would like to play in the 2008 CWTC.
Thus was born the Cumpstone/Nisbet partnership.
Martine and Pascale were then asked to join and Susan and
Kiz rounded out the team.

I only met Karen in March of this year at the Victoria Regional
through may partner Michael Roche, who as most of you know,
moved to Victoria about two years ago. A little later, at the
Regional in Winnipeg, Michael and I played some team events
with Karen and Pamela with a singular lack of success,
which could be attributed mainly to the esteemed partnership
of Roche and Rayner. Winnipeg was my home for the first 16
years of my life, so I was happy to go for the regional and the
girls were going to get some real life (as apposed to BBO)
practice. One evening when the four of us were out for dinner,
having been knocked out of yet another knockout, Pamela
asked me if I would be their non playing captain should they
emerge victorious in the Montreal CWTC. I believe that she
must have had a glass or two of wine too many, but I did say
to ask me again if they won in May. They did - and Pamela
repeated her offer and I became their NPC. Although I didn't
know Pamela all that well until the last year or so, I accepted her
offer - in large part because I had come to know that Karen and
Pamela are fun-loving, intelligent and engaging women and good
bridge players. I did not know Martine, Pascale, Susan and Kiz
at all really and it has been a great pleasure to become their
friend over the past few months.

So there is some background about Karen and Pamela.
They are both a little nuts (in the best possible way) and still
confuse me occasionally with their Kiwi accents and expressions,
but they have both become great friends of mine. They also
have a wonderful affinity for each other as partners and people.

With this bakdrop, I invite you to read my next blog about the
amazing day the three of us spent in Beijing yesterday.
I am sure you just can't wait!

Bye for now,

John

No comments: